Buddhism and the Self

Martin Gifford marting at NSWCC.ORG.AU
Thu Sep 18 03:43:38 CDT 1997

At 08:42 PM 16/09/97 -0800, Allan wrote:
>I'd like to make one last general comment about the conduct of this list.
>More than one list member seems to feel that Advaita-L should be confined
>to discussions of orthodox Hinduism rather than the wider interpretation of
>Advaita sometimes called the "perennial philosophy" or "primordial
>tradition".

Hi All !

Perhaps there are 4 approaches to the word 'Advaita' for our purposes.

1. Traditional scriptural based advaita.
2. Non-traditional scriptures with similarities of expression to traditional
advaita.
3. Living claimers of realisation that call theire realisation advaita.
4. Theoretical advaita for those who have not realised.

I presume our purpose is to realise non-duality. Some try to do it through
investigating and discussing scriptures. Some try to do it through hanging
out with a supposedly realised sage. Some try to do it with contemplation of
a mixture of many seemingly related thoughts.

So if you _believe_ in only one of the above then you would automatically
reject all else.  But if the bottom line is realising non-duality then you
will listen to anything that helps.

I would add that it's very safe to keep to inanimate scriptures while a real
guru is more likely to blow our cherished limiting ideas away. Not to
mention the energetic factor of a true guru's presence.

I can't imagine a real guru saying eg. "yes you are right, Buddhism is/isn't
advaita". Wouldn't s/he be more inclined to say "don't worry about that,
worry about who you are and what life is all about experientially rather
than theoretically".

Regards,

Martin.