Guru wanted

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Sun Sep 21 16:57:06 CDT 1997

namaste

Thanks to Vidyasankar and Vaidya for explaining the term "nirindhana
iva analaH". The book I have on viveka chuuDaamaNi gives a word by
word meaning (from samskR^itam to tamizh) to the verses, but it does
not expound them (by Anna published by RK Mutt). For this term there
is a side note referring to shvetaashvatara upanishhad verse:

nishhkalaM nishhkR^iyaM shaantaM niravadyaM niranjanam.h |
amR^itasya paraM setuM dagdhendhanaM ivaanalam.h ||

The term dagdha indhanam iva analam" corresponds to the term "nir
indhana iva analaH". Linking that with shaantam and the explanation
given by HH shrii shrii chandrasekhara bhaarati is very nice.

Even though word-by-word translation is good, without a good
explanation a lay-person like me will find it extremely difficult to
understand these texts. Especially, shrii shankara makes many
references to upanishads, brahma suutra and giita. One needs a scholar
who has mastered these to explain the text. More than a scholar one
who is established in the path of shankara like HH shrii shrii
chandrasekhara bharati enlightens the student. I have seen the book
referred by Vaidya at IITM library. It is a wonderful book. When I had
so much problem in understanding sthuula suukshuma and kaaraNa
shariram (gross, subtle and causal bodies) my friend referred me to
this book. Here at Texas A & M we do not have that book though :-(

dhanyaavaad

Ravi
"bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam"