The Mimaasaka perspective

Jonathan Bricklin brickmar at EARTHCOM.NET
Fri Sep 26 16:53:40 CDT 1997

Jaldhar H. Vyas  writes:

> The Purva Mimamsa darshan is mainly concerned with exegesis of the Vedas.
> Kumarila Bhatta wa the greatest of Mimamsaks.  The Buddhist argument was
> that the Vedas were invalid as a true means of knowledge being the
> product of human beings and the rules therein were not compulsory...

My understanding is that the Buddhists that Kumarila had to contend with
(like many practicing Buddhists today)  based their arguments on perception
and reason only, without recourse to scriptural authority.  Insofar as the
Vedas supported their perceptions and their reasonings they would be
considered valid.    If that is true, then the fact that they saw the Vedas
as products of human beings would not, in itself, render it invalid.  Just
the opposite in fact.

Jonathan Bricklin