Buddhism and the Self

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Mon Sep 29 12:01:03 CDT 1997

Jaldhar wrote:

> More educated traditionalists will make it
> harder on the sillier claims.  It's been my observation that most of the
> foreigners actually have a very superficial interest in Vedanta.  They are
> are attracted by its exotic nature.  Will they still be interested when
> its the religion of doctors, and lawyers, and computer programmers instead
> of mystical sages of the East?  It's much easier to believe in aliens
> riding comets or Egyptian Pharoahs reincarnating in middle-aged
> housewives.  At least Pharoahs don't argue or insist on logic and morality! :-)

As satirical as this sounds, there really is some truth in it!
I have met a handfull of Westerners really interested in
Vedanta.  Most others encounter it during a search for exotic,
Eastern mystical philosophies, which they end up assimilating as
a big Eastern metaphysical soup.  There will also be Zen,
Tibetan Buddhism, Krishnamurti, Gurdjieff, and several Kundalini
yoga theorists in the soup.

There is also a definite sociological element at play -- most
Americans LIKE the vaguely counter-cultural aspects of Eastern
philosophies.  They feel set apart.  Why do I presume to say
this?  Because I have gone to meetings where the speaker praises
the attendees for being there, and for not being like the rest
of the world, caught up in non-spiritual pursuits.  And amongst
themselves, they talk like this.  Seems that it's an important
belief, to feel they're not part of the establishment.

Something else I've noticed -- some pursue it for entertainment,
travel, learning another culture, adopting Indian names,
clothing, jewelry.  Just last week I talked to a really nice
lady who has a pretty good understanding of Vedantic
principles.  She went to India, where she purchased a prayer
shawl with the Namah Sivaya mantra printed all over it.  She
wore it as a skirt because she liked the fabric and the pretty
pattern.  That is, until someone pointed out to her that the printed
mantra should never be suspended from the body at a point lower
than the waist....  American ingenuity meets Indian orthodoxy.

Maybe if the seekers (they call themselves) found out that
Vedanta provided the original basis for most of the ideas in the
Eastern/New Age metaphysical soup, AND found out that it is the
religion of doctors, lawyers, businessmen/women, housewives,
they'd seek some other, more socially obscure and exotic
philosophy.

--Greg