shrI rAma navami

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu Apr 2 11:25:51 CST 1998

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Ravi Mayavaram wrote:

> namaskAram
>
> As shrI rAma navami is approaching, it will be nice if we can focus
> our discussion on shrI rAmachandramUrti. I would like to know which
> part of shrI rAma's life impressed and increased your devotion towards
> Him.

Namaste:

( What started as a small note has grown to a long email. Forgive me. )

 I fully agree. Just to quote Anantharama Dikshidhar, who quotes Sri
Krishna who says in the Bhagavad Gita, " abhyAsAt^ brhamatE yatre " One
feels very happy even while just coming to hear His glory. That
"spontaneous"  joy is not there in anything else. For any physical
activity to give joy, one has to work for it; all joy is preceded by work
/ pain. On the contrary, even when one is making preparations to hear His
glories, joy permeates him. This is because He arrives and seats Himself
in the listeners hearts the moment a desire to hear His glories arises.

 Listening to His glories is considered as meditation. The listener is
sitting doing nothing but listening, with full concentration. When the
discourser says maha Vishnu with His Chakram, the listener's mind
immediately brings that image into the mind. To ensure proper hearing, one
holds one breath. All this is nothing but meditation.

 When Sri Valmiki is about to start the rAmAyanam, he asks Sri Narada a
question. He asks: Is there a person who will releive this affiliction of
birth and death. Will this person exist all the times and at all places;
meaning, one who is not bound to time or place. Will he come to my rescue
even in this world and life, will he be of valour etc. Sri nAradA recounts
the 16 essential glories of Sri rAmA. Even Sri Valmiki's question appears
to be a leading question, asked with Sri rAmA in mind. This is because, he
wants Sri Narada, a great sage who recites His names every day, to start
the rAmAyana, so that it may be auspicious. The qualities Sri valmiki has
in mind are:
 1) Will he have all qualities
 (after such a general statement, Sri Valmiki also states specifically)
 2) He should be one of valour;
 3) He should know the Laws of Dharma; for valour without Dharma is
pointless.
 4) He should not forget any help ever rendered to him.
 "krithagney nAsti nishkrithihi: " - there is redemption for any kind of
sinner, there is no redemption for one who has forgotten one's help.
 to quote the Thrikural: in Tamil
 ennAndri kondrakkum uivundAm uivillai
  sei-nnandri kondramagarkku
 (never ever forget any help rendered to you, for the is no redemption
for one who forgets someone's help)
 5) He should always say only the Truth, for Dharma and Truth are one and
the same.
 6) If he starts any vratham (promise or determination), he should never
give it up, no matter what. Sri Rama says at one point to Sita; "hey Sita,
I will give up my life if necessary, I will give you up, I will even give
Lakshmanan up, but I will never give up on a vratham I have started "
(like satyam, ekapathni etc)
 7) He should have a pleasnt walk and demenour
 8) He should have a pleasant speech.
 9) He should have mercy on all cratures (sarva bhUtha daya)
 10) He should be well read.
 11) He should have a clever mind to get his task done efficiently.
 12) He should be good looking (priya darshanah: )
 13) He should have controlled his mind
 14) He should know to control his anger (but he should be able to get
angry when needed)
 15) He should be at peace with himself (comes when love for all exists)
 16) If he gets angry, even the Indra'thi devas should be afraid !

 Sri nArada says, give me a minute, let me see Him in my mind and then
tell you and he meditates on Sri Rama. Sri Rama appears in Sri Valmini's
heart also at the same time. This shows that even wanting to know if such
a one exists pleases Him so much that he reveals Himself.

> The part which dramatically showed shrI rAma's righteousness and mercy
> is when rAvaNa is completely disarmed and stands in the battle field.
> Lord asks him go home and come back with a renewed vigor and with more
> arms ( may be the 20 he had was not enough ;-)), in tamizh inRu pOy
> nAlai vA!

 I beg to disagree. Sri rAmA is said to have sent Ravana back so that
Ravana suffers the agony of defeat for one full night. There is nothing
worse for a warrior than to be sent back from battle, having been
defeated, but not having been killed. Sri rAmA is said to have done this
to make Ravana suffer for his misdeeds as if Sri Rama kills Ravana, then
Ravana automatically goes to Vaikundam.
 another tamil quote:
 kaDan pattAr nejum-pol kalnginAAn illangai vendan
 Like one who suffers under the burden of debt, so agonised the Lord of
Lanka i.e rAvana

 ( is this apt in this day and age of credit cards? :-) )

> rAma nAmamE nAmamAyiram

 rAma nAmamE nAmamAyiram

Vaidya.

                      Vaidya N. Sundaram
 Kandavar Vindilar      : Those who have seen (Brahman) have not spoken
  Vindavar Kandilar     :   those who speak (about It) have not seen (It)