Miimaamsaa - Clarification

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Fri Apr 3 12:55:06 CST 1998

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

>I hear that Miimaamsaa means "investigation". So what do Purva and
>Uttara Miimaamsaa mean? And what's the reason for naming the schools so?
>
>Also Vidya mentioned sometime back that both Samkhya and Purva
>Miimaamsaa don't care for a creator God. Can somebody explain?

namaskAram

pUrva mImAmsa does not require Ishvara as a giver of fruits of action,
Destiny by cause and effect chain governs it. But in advaita-vedanta
Ishwara is the one who does that. While commenting on the name karma
phala pradaa, shankara point out the need of a conscious agent
(Ishwara) to do that and destiny by itself cannot do that. This is my
understanding.

I hope other knowledgeable list members will give a more
rigorous analysis of this and correct me if I am wrong.

Ravi