ADMIN: Apologies

Wed Apr 8 16:46:18 CDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Frank Maiello wrote:

> Adhering to *any* orthodoxy fails to take into account
> that things change in the course of human evolution,

Denying that any such thing occurs of course Vedanta fails to take it into
account.

>  and
> the method adopted by a given Founder applies to the
> mental development of the era;

I find it difficult to believe you are more mentally evolved than
Shankaracharya.

> how long it can remain
> applicable varies.  Inevitably, modifications have to be
> made.

It's being applied without modifications this very day.

> In light of this, Sankara's denouncing the teachings
> of Buddha have more to do with what was happening in India
> at the time.

Not really.

> There was a low ebb in the national dharma

Not surprising considering there wasn't a nation.

> and a fresh spiritual approach was necessary, since most
> were misinterpreting the teachings of the visnu avatar
> (something very easily done) and, along with other factors,
> there was a prevailing social deterioration.  In response
> to this, the siva avatar, Sankara, wiped the national slate
> clean, and re-installed vedic wisdom in the crystalized form
> of vedanta, establishing it in the four corners of Bharat.

History cannot concur with this view.  First of all Shankaracharya was not
teaching anything new.  He mentions several predecessors of which
Gaudapadacharya two generations before is the most obvious example.
Secondly Hindu society as a whole was hardly deteriorating.  This was also
the age of Kumarila Bhatt and Mandana Mishra.  Thirdly Buddhism remained
vigorous for several centuries after this time.

> (It should be remembered that the advent of Buddhism was
> also due to a low ebb in the dharma of the time, since the
> vedas had generally fallen into an empty ritualization, causing
> sharp divisions between sects and, more importantly, a
> warp and contraction in the psyche.)

Another untenable view.  Vedic ritualism (not to mention Tantra which is
also a feature of Buddhism) remained vigorous throughout the Buddhist era.

I'm not going to address the rest of your message as it is off-toic for
this list. ;-)