BASIC CONCEPT OF ADVAITA

Viswanathan Krishnamurthy kviswanathan at ECCUBED.COM
Fri Apr 10 15:21:56 CDT 1998

hi listmembers,

I have a basic doubt.

I am curious to know what is the basic concept preached by ADVAITA.

I would also like to know if there is any difference between the basic
concept of ADVAITA and the teachings of  ADI SHANKARA and why this list is
so specific in discussing only the teaching of ADI SHANKARA and not others
who advocated ADVAITA.

I know it is too basic and I apologise for this intrusion to the normal
flow of discussion.

-krishna

>From  Fri Apr 10 15:46:48 1998
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:46:48 -0500
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: "Vaidya N. Sundaram" <sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU>
Subject: Re: BASIC CONCEPT OF ADVAITA
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list ADVAITA-L <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Namaste:

 A small quote should be apt here.

ruupam dR^ishyam lochanam dR^ik taddR^ishyaM dR^iktu maanasaM |
dR^ishyaa dhiivR^ittayassaakshii dR^igeva na tu dR^ishyate ||

The form is perceived and the eye is it's perceiver. The eye is perceived and
the mind is it's perceiver. The mind and it's modifications are perceived by
the witness, but it (the witness) is not perceived.

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Viswanathan Krishnamurthy wrote:

> I am curious to know what is the basic concept preached by ADVAITA.

 The web pages maintained by Sri Vidyashankar Sundaresan are, in my
opinion, very good and you should be able to get your answers to the
questions you have asked there. The URL for these pages is:
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~vidya/advaita/

> I would also like to know if there is any difference between the basic
> concept of ADVAITA and the teachings of  ADI SHANKARA and why this list is
> so specific in discussing only the teaching of ADI SHANKARA and not others
> who advocated ADVAITA.

Also, as I have noted before, the web pages of advaita-l has a very good
search engine. You may be interested in making use of that also.
The URL of the archives is:
http://listserv.tamu.edu/archives/advaita-l.html

> I know it is too basic and I apologise for this intrusion to the normal
> flow of discussion.

A few questions (and the zest to find answers to them) now saves a lot of
ignorance later.

Cheers,
Vaidya.

                      Vaidya N. Sundaram
 Kandavar Vindilar      : Those who have seen (Brahman) have not spoken
  Vindavar Kandilar     :   those who speak (about It) have not seen (It)