Bhakti and Jnana

Chandran, Nanda (NBC) Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Thu Apr 23 12:11:49 CDT 1998

I apologize if my previous post sounded harsh.

The basic Advaitic doctrine is that Atman and Brahman are the same. When
one *realizes* this truth he becomes one with Brahman.

OK, since Advaitam recognizes the existence of such an Eternal Absolute
Being, what's the point in jnana? Why must we take the effort trying to
discern what's the Self, what's the non-Self, Karma, Ishvara,
Hiranyagarbha etc Why can't we just totally surrender ourselves to
Saguna Brahman (according to our ishta deivam or personal God) and trust
on him to lead us to liberation?

I'm aware that would be Dvaitam, but then why Advaitam?

I would appreciate if some classical references (Shankara's works) is
used to explain the point.

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.