the Nature of realization

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu Apr 30 06:08:28 CDT 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> Gummuluru Murthy wrote:
>
> > Certainly! this is the point of view of an unrealized. However, please
> > note that "ever content" that is used in the above paragraph is not
> > different from the "nitya tr^pto" which Shri Shankara uses in
> > Viveka ChuDAmaNi, verse 543, which is part of my earlier post.
>
> Sure. I did not deny that. Still, it's the unrealized who think the
> GYAni is ever-content etc. Note that in the same work he also denies
> that there is prArabdha for the GYAni. So what can "unfold" for the
> GYAni?
>
> [...]
>
> Rama.

Namaste.

Shri Shankara, who is a jnAni, says that a jnAni is a nitya-tr^pto (ever-
contented). If a jnAni is not a nitya-tr^pto, it means there are desires
in the heart and, as you very well know, that contradicts shruti (Katha u.
II.3.14; Br^hadAraNyaka IV.4.7). Thus, a jnAni, a jeevanmukta is a
nitya-tr^pto (ever contented) according to both the realized and the
unrealized.

Your concern may be my use of the word "unfold" in my previous post. Let
me clarify. There is nothing unfolding *for* the jnAni. The jnAni sees the
world and the changes associated with the world. However He knows the
world to be unreal and is only a witness to the things going on. That is
what I meant by my "unfolding". The only jeevanmukta we are aware of in
the modern day is Shri RamaNa. We cannot say Shri RamaNa did not see the
world. He saw the world and the changes in the world, but all as a
witness. He saw it for what it is, just unreal.

As an example, when He goes on a daily walk, He is aware of the changing
distance between the body and the Ashram, but He knows that He pervades
all and hence the unreality of the changing distance between the body and
the Ashram. You may be semantically correct in saying that there is
nothing unfolding for the jnAni, but my above few sentences, hopefully,
clarify, what I mean.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.