The link between Vyavaharika and Paramartika

Charles A. Hillig chillig at JETLINK.NET
Thu Apr 30 11:25:54 CDT 1998

At 04:10 PM 4/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings Chuck!
>
>Thanks for the reply. Since I get to read the list daily in the form of
>a digest, I read your post after I posted my second post on the subject.
>
>It took me atleast 5 readings of your mail to understand what you said!
>
>The fundamental difference between your mail and mine is that while you
>talk from the Paramartika level, I write from the Vyavaharika. If
>Non-Dual Brahman is all there is, it's very easy to argue from the
>Paramartika end, dismissing all views from the Vyavaharika as Maya and
>postulate the ONE being. But unfortunately I'm still at the Vyavaharika
>level and viewed from this end the Eternal Absolute Atman seems
>untenable and thus my questions.
>
>If you want to answer my questions, you've to come down to the
>Vyavaharika level and do so, as the Paramartika is beyond me.

Hi Nanda,

     Because there are, quintessentially, no actual "levels" at all, there
is nothing that is (or could ever be) really "beyond" you.   In other
words, no matter what appears to be happening, the-you-that-IS is not at
"one level" trying to achieve "another level."

     When you are, seemingly, viewing the Eternal Absolute Atman from afar
(like from another "level") it will always remain, untenable (and, indeed,
"unattainable.")   Your very struggle to grasp the ungraspable is the
absolute guarantee that its subtlety will elude you.

     It takes effort to believe that you're not already what you
areseeking.   Stop making effort.

     To let go and be still is the pathless path to where you blissfully
reside.....even now.

                                                      With Blessings,

                                                                Chuck Hillig