Karma and Sanyaasa

sadananda sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Sun Aug 2 08:09:29 CDT 1998

>And you must indeed apologize to him: if not for having made a personal
>comment, at least for having misunderstood what he was trying to say.
-Kartik

Kartik - Thanks for pointing out my faults.  There is a saying in telugu
related to what is called ' guriginja', a small bright red seed but it has
very dark small patch underneath.  Without knowing its own black spot
underneath, it thinks it is all full bright red.  There goes my black spot.

It is possible that I misunderstood the contents and the implication of
Rama's post.  But frankly, the issues were not addressed to any specific's
of Rama's post.  If so I would have found some guts to address those
directly, even if Rama thinks -what the heck- or -what non-sense is that  I
am taking about the mental renunciation-  We are run into the same problem
don't we?  My own posts were not understood either but commented upon
without any justification.  Everyone interprets the others posts with their
own biases.  Personally I donot know if that can ever be avoided.  That is
one of the reasons I try to avoid back and forth discussions on what each
understands since most of it is related to ones misunderstanding than
understanding.  I face these constantly in the scientific peer reviews too.
I agree one should try his best to aviod that.

Yes, as an impartial judge if you think I must indeed apologize to him -
then I should.

Rama - frankly, this is not because of what Kartik asked. In my previous
post I already asked for excuse if I have made any personal attacks without
my knowledge, which I try not to do to anyone.  If I do, I fail to be an
adviatin.

My sincere apologies if I misunderstood contents and intent of your posts.
Since the topic of boutika sanyaasa was discussed before with reference to
karma and sanyaasa as what you called a dead horse, I might have raised
that issue my self, since this was what was talked about in the past.  That
is the reason I addressed in general not referencing to the contents of
your post.  My sincere apologies if I have specifically misunderstood the
contents of your post.

I have never undermined Karma. Please read my posts again.  Action has to
be appropriate and to ones best, and there is no question about that.
Karma is important and the whole of Geeta emphasizes that.  If I remember
the discussions started with reference to ritualistic karma and problems
one faces if there is errors in performance of karma - and what is chitta
shuddi and the importance of it.  I presented my understanding, without
considering it is as a non-sense.

May be I am sensitive to the fact that one of the strong criticisms of
advaita by dwaitins and vishistaadvaitins is that the advaita demands one
to take up sanyaasa ashrama for moksha. I am fully aware of Sri
Vidyaaranyaas discussion related to it.  If horse need to back to its
original state, let it be.

Let us address the issues and leave the personal stuff. My apologies again
both to Rama and to the public if I have woken up the dead horse
unnecessorily.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

K. Sadananda