message to my friends

f. maiello egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Sat Aug 8 15:46:21 CDT 1998

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, f. maiello wrote:
> > (Quoting Bhagavan RM, from Day by Day with Bhagavan, p211)
> > A. "Renunciation is always in the mind, not in going to forests or
> > solitary places or giving up one's duties.
>
> The notion of duty is incompatible with the notion of renunciation.

If so, why didn't Janaka physically renounce his kingdom?

> > "The main thing is to see
> > that the mind does not turn outward but inward.
>
> For the mind to turn inward isn't enough.  It does that in dreams too.
> But we do not consider dreams to be some exalted state but rather the
> ultimate illusion.

Not really.  The mind observes its own byproduct [of the world]--which,
in this context is established by drishti-srishti vaada--in its waking
mode; and also observes its own byproduct in dreams.  In this sense--in
either case--it isn't really turning inward.  What Bhagavan RM is
referring
to by turning the mind inward, is tracing the nature of mind to its
source,
being the Substratum or Self, which is the marga of atmavichara.

namaste