message to my friends

f. maiello egodust at DIGITAL.NET
Mon Aug 10 15:27:55 CDT 1998

Gummuluru Murthy wrote:

> Actionlessness and desireless action
>
> These two words were used in the debate, and in my view, they refer to
> at different levels of understanding. As long as one is embodied (or
> thinks, is embodied), is not there action all the time ? May be minimal
> action in some cases, but still action. This point came up in Jaladhar's
> and my discussion on Karma and sannyAsa. Desireless action is there for
> a mumukshu, but actionlessness is there only for jnAnam in embodied form.

The statements: "As long as one is embodied (or thinks, is embodied),
is not there action all the time ?" and  "actionlessness is there only
for jnAnam in embodied form," appear to be incompatible.  I maintain
that
true actionlessness only applies to videhamukthi and not jivanmukthi.
Although it's critical to understand that the jivanmuktha is utterly
dispassionate to Its actions, nevertheless Its body is still
functioning, even if merely the heart and lungs are at work.

And, if I may say, excellent outline/commentary on the comparative death
experiences of the jnani, ajnani, and student of advaita.

namaste