message to my friends

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Aug 11 15:47:43 CDT 1998

The problem is this - if the answer that is given by the intellect and by
logic is not the Truth, and also if Sri Shankaracharya uses "impeccable
logic" - how does one decide that a particular logic is impeccable except
through the use of the intellect? And how about the concept of "viveka"?
Isn't it a reference to the right use of the intellect?

The question I ask is not only not unfair, it is one of the most important
concerns within all Vedanta. To say that the jagat is in me, again raises
the same questions, which have been asked for thousands of years now. As I
see it, the beauty of Advaita teaching is in using logic and the intellect
to ultimately overcome logic and the intellect. This does not mean that
you simply ignore logic and intellect.

If one throws out logic and intellect completely, it is worse than
throwing the baby out with the bathwater - it is a refusal to even bathe
the baby in the first place. That is not very useful, is it? You bathe
the baby, then you throw out the bathwater.

Vidyasankar