message to my friends

Saxena, Subhanu Subhanu.Saxena at INTL.PEPSI.COM
Wed Aug 12 00:52:35 CDT 1998

Some observations on what Shankara means by logic and intellect:

Shankara in his Bhashya states "Naanena mishena shushka tarkasya atra
aatmalaabha sambhavati"  This aatman is not to be attained by dry logic.
He goes on to say: "Srutyanugriheeta eva hyatra tarkaha anubhaangantwena
aashriyate" Meaning "logic and reasoning that is in consonance with
Sruti AND THE UNIVERSAL INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE is what is meant here" ie
the use of logic has to be founded on that anubhava that is available to
us all when we have cast of the notions of being an agent distinct from
an object.

It is also important to recognise that all discussions of intellect and
right means of knowledge are a concession to the empirical standpoint
fashioned by Avidya.  Trust your instincts that, once you have seen
through the haze pf Pramana-prameya vyavahara, and all misconceptions
have been sublated, then that eternal Sakshi will shine of its own
accord.

Regards

Subhanu