New member introduction: shrI Subhanu Saxena

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 12 11:26:18 CDT 1998

> Jaldhar wrote:
>>On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Ravisankar S. Mayavaram wrote:

>> Under my
>> Veda Guru, who performed my Upanayanam, I have mastered portions of
the
>> Taittiriya Sakha (The complete Aranyaka portion, the famous Suktas,
some
>> Samhita portions, including Ghana and Krama, plus the important
Brahmana
>> portions. I can also recite Udaka Shanti and Mahanyasam, as well as
>> perform Homa etc).
>>

>Just curious, if you are from UP why did you learn Taittiriya shakha?
>As
>far as I know only Dravid Brahmans belong to Krishnayajuraveda.

 Speaking for myself, my family is from the shAkala shAkhA of the
 R^ig Veda. I learnt some R^ig Vedic sUktas from two different
  brahmins back in India while growing up. I probably would have
 learnt more of the R^ig Veda had I stayed in India.

 I think the Krishna Yajur Vedins are more numerous than followers
 of the other vedas. Especially in the South, one can easily locate
 a Krishna Yajur Vedin, but other Vedins are relatively fewer. For
 instance, about 95% of the Brahmins in Andhra Pradesh are Krishna
 Yajur Vedins, and they are still the majority in Tamil Nadu, although
 not an overwhelming majority as in Andhra. In Karnataka/Maharashtra,
 where I come from, one does find a relatively higher percentage of
 Rg Vedins, especially but not exclusively, among MAdhvas. The big
 loser is the Atharva Veda which has hardly any followers left in
 India. Shri Chandrasekhara Saraswati, former Swami of the Kanchi
 Math, writes in his book on the Vedas how hard it was for him to
 find an Atharva Veda scholar for the Vedic PAThashAla. He searched
 and searched and finally found just one atharva vedin of the
 Shaunaka shAkhA in Gujarat. The Swami then sent two young brahmin
 boys to Gujarat so that they could learn the atharva veda. These
 boys , now supposed to be middle-aged men,  are resident scholars
 of atharva veda at the Tirupati devasthAnam. Hopefully, they will
 propagate the atharva veda to many disciples!

 The Swami, in the same book, then goes on to formulate a theory
 on how different Indian languages have different Vedic influences.
 For example, in the languages Kannada and Marathi of Karnataka and
 Maharashtra respectively, the letter "La" (not to be confuesd with
 "la" appears) frequently. This, according to Shri Chandrasekhara
 Saraswati, indicates the influence of the R^ig Veda on the languages.
 The R^ig Veda has many followers in this geographical region.
 It is well known "La" occurs commonly in the R^ig Veda, as in
 "agnimILe", "mR^iLA", etc. In a similar fashion, the Swami says,
 the frequent occurrence of "Da" in Telugu is due to the influence
 of the Krishna Yajur Veda. For example, "mR^iLA" in R^Ig Veda becomes
 "mR^iDA" in Krishna Yajur Veda. The Swami also gives explanations
 for  occurrences of distinguishing syllables in other languages.
 The occurrence of "ja", for example, in North Indian languages,
 is due to the influence of the Shukla Yajur Veda.

 Most of the South Indian priests that one sees in temples in the US
 are indeed Krishna Yajur vedins. I have learnt (and am still learning
 ) portions of the taittirIya samhitA/ AraNyaka/ upanishad from a
 priest, Krishna Bhat, in this country.
 To make a long story short, if one wants to learn the Vedas and
 approaches a priest/scholar, the probability is high that he will be
 a Krishna Yajur Vedin.

 Anand