Purushasuktam-2

Subhanu Saxena Subhanu.Saxena at INTL.PEPSI.COM
Tue Aug 18 00:43:32 CDT 1998

Purushasuktam is part of the Vedas:

I'm afraid I'm not one of the elite,but maybe the following helps:
Purushasuktam is a Rig Veda Suktam from the 10th Mandala. Versions of it
appear in every Veda, with minor variations.

Jaldhar Vyas is in indeed right that Purushasuktam appears in the
Taittiriya Aranyaka where the portion beginning "Adhbhyas sambhutaha" is
referred to as "uttaranarayana" in the Krishna Yajur Veda tradition.  It
appears in the 3rd book , or Anuvaka, of the Aranyaka, which are the
so-called "Chaturhotara" mantras. Naraayana Suktam in the Krishna Yajur
Veda tradition refers to another Suktam found in the Mahanarayana
Upanishad (10th book of the Taittiriya Aranyaka), which begins with the
mantras "Sahasrasheerasham Devam.."

The Rig Veda Purushasukta version starts with "Sahasrasheershaa
Purushaha", ending with "Yagyena Yagyam". Also the mantra
"Saptasyaasan.." appears near the end (2nd last mantra).  The original
Rig Veda version does not have "vedaaham etam" to " Naanyaf panthaa
ayanaaya vidyate", which we see in the Yajur Veda recensions.

For those who are interested, the 3rd Prasna of the Taittiriya Aranyaka
has some wonderful mantras, which are of interest to anyone following
advaita.  The anuvaka before Purusha Suktam, called Suvarnam Gharmam
Suktam, contains the verse "that place where a hundred lights become
one, where all Vedas become one, where all hotaara's become one, that is
the innermost aatman of all". The Rishi of the 3rd prasna quotes
Purushasuktam to support his vision of one-ness. There is also the line
in the Anuvaka after Purusha Suktam and Uttaranarayana : "Eko devo
bahudha nivishtaha" -The one shining one has permeated all in many ways

Finally, there are some small differences in the Swara style of
recitation ,not in terms of where the udatta, anudatta, and swarita's
are, but in the general style of Rig Veda and Yajur Veda recitation. For
example the treatment of Pluta swarita vowels, the anuswara sandhis
before Sa, Sha (both ), Ra, Ha.  It is easier to hear the differences
when chanted.  You may be able to find a Pandita from both Vedas, so you
can hear the difference.

I am sure some of the others will be able to shed more light, but I hope
the above helps. Incidentally, among the many publications available on
the Purushasuktam, a recent booklet by Swami Harshananda of Ramakrishna
mission has an interesting commentary on the version as it appears in
Taittiriya Aranyaka.  For those who would like a book of important Veda
mantras, the "Mantra Pushpam" publication of the Mumbai Ramakrishna Math
is about the best I have come across.  It has excellent print and , as
well as most of the important mantras with swara markings, has all the
major Upanishad texts (including Brihadaranyaka and Isa with Swara from
the South Indian Kanva recension, plus a large number of  devotional
stotras and verses.)

At the end of the Mahannyaasa Shiva Sankalpa mantras there is the verse

Namakam Chamakam chaiva, Purushasuktam cha nityashaha
Mahaadevena tat tulyam, tanme manashshivasankalpam astu

attesting to the greatness of Purushasuktam, Rudram and Chamakam

Regards

Subhanu