Life and Soul

Chelluri at AOL.COM Chelluri at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 9 19:22:03 CST 1998

                                 Brahmaiva Satyam

Greg its not Nanda, its me Nagy who wrote.    Thanks for your response.

                                                                          Nagy

>From  Mon Feb  9 18:25:11 1998
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:25:11 -0500
To: "Advaita (non-duality) with reverence" <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ram Chandran <chandran at TIDALWAVE.NET>
Subject: getting out of deep sleep - theory of re-birth
Comments: To: Advaita List <Advaita-L at tamu.edu>

Greetings Murthy Garu:

    Your hypotheses and comforting explanations are logical and
reasonable.  As always, Greg gave an excellent interpretation in support
of your hypotheses with appropriate references.   The analogy between
deep sleep and death is quite convincing for the intellectually curious
mind.  However, I want to divert this thought process from another
standpoint.
   You have asserted that the basic background for the human is
prajnAna, the consciousness (awareness) which is continuous.  I also
agree that it is the same Atman that pervades everything.  This
fundamental assertion rules out all discontinuities including deep sleep
and death.  Deep sleep and death are intellectual concepts of the human
mind.   The mind created the  nonexistent discontinuities - deep sleep
and death! The same mind that created the breakages developed the
thought process to bridge the illusive gaps.  When the mind gets the
freedom to indulge in recreational games, it experiences discrete events
of gain and loss which never existed. The dualities of sleep and wake or
death and birth are illusions of the mind.  The existence of continuous
consciousness rules out the existence of discrete mind and discrete
events! There is no beginning or end of Atman (consciousness) and there
can be neither death nor deep sleep!

Ram Chandran
Burke, VA 22015