An excerpt from Rajaji's version

Mon Jan 5 12:39:33 CST 1998

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

> I'm reading (for the n th time!) this translation of the Upanishads by
> Rajagopalachari. Rajaji works hard at making the fundamentals clear and
> displays tremendous insight in his work. Here is a brief excerpt from his
> explanations on the Katha Upanishad :

Question:  Was Rajagopalachari even a Smarta?  I thought South Indian
Brahmans with names ending in acharya were Shrivaishnavas?

> "Merely to know is not enough to escape from the tangle of illusion.  Faith
> and discipline of life are necessary. This illusion arises not so much from
> ignorance as from attachments. Enlightment comes with detachment not with
> learning.
> This is the main teaching to which all the schools of Hindu
> philosophy ultimately revert to and on which they lay the greatest emphasis.
> The discipline and meditation that serve to help the Soul to detach itself
> from the things or the world is what is called Yoga."

I think it is a stretch to say _all_ Hindu schools believe this but
certainly Advaita Vedanta does.  However Shankaacharya does not think
meditation is of any use for attaining moksha.  At best, like rituals, it
is a preparation for jnana.