Women/sudras bottom line

Tue Jan 20 13:50:48 CST 1998

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Gregory Goode wrote:

> To cut to the chase -- according to the traditionalists on this list, can
> women, sudras, non-Indians reach enlightenment in this life?

Note this isn't exactly what we were discussing in the other thread though
the issue is somewhat related.

> I happen to believe confidently and unshakeably that they can, but what do
> Jaldhar and other old-liners say?

The traditional view is monolithic.  Several positions can be discerned.

1. Only Brahman men can achieve moksha in this lifetime.
2. Only Dvija men (i.e Brahmans, Kshatriyas, and Vaishyas.)
3. Only those who follow Sanatan Dharma (which can be subdivided into
   a.  born Hindus
   b.  Born Hindus plus converts.
4. Anyone.

I tend towards 3a (and not so much because I don't think a convert could,
but because there is no valid way to convert to Hinduism.)  But the real
bottom line is:  I don't care.  I plan to ignore everyone except my elders
and teachers, enlightened or otherwise.