What is adhikAra? (fwd)

Nanda Chandran Nanda.Chandran at NBC.COM
Mon Jun 8 10:08:21 CDT 1998

>On the other hand when we start an intellectual dialog of arguments and
>counter arguments (such as the dialog between you, me and Sri. Vaidya
>Sundaram on Atharvaveda),  our Ego dominates over the "intellect" and
>consequently, we lose our discriminating wisdom and engage producing
>garbage!   The great saints of the past including Sri Sankara have
>applied their intellect to guide the common people for spiritual
>growth.  We are neither vegetables nor Jnanis.  Consequently, we have
>remind ourselves often about the pitfalls of endless intellectual
>debates and learn to stop at the appropriate time.

I beg to differ from Ram Chandran.

If we take the shruti as the basis of our religion, I'm sure all of us
are aware of the different interpretations that have sprung forth from
the same base! The same way, even if one's a faithful Advaitin, how can
one be sure that one's interpreting Shankara or Gaudapada correctly.
It's only by subjecting the theories to a rigorous analysis and argument
that one can arrive at the truth behing their teachings. Again the
levels of this practice can differ between individuals. While one may be
'convinced' at some point in the process, another might need further
'convincing' and might pursue the practice to higher levels to his
satisfaction. But to find fault with his effort, is IMO, very wrong.

It's a totally different matter if one lets the Ego dominate over the
intellect. But a productive agrument can still be carried on without
this happening. Adi Shankara himself supports the practice of analysis
and argument. For it's only by the patient sifting of opinions that one
can get to the truth.

And IMO, if one's to take the path of 'jnana' then one should never
accept anything on face value, but should literally dissect each theory
and analyze it to the core. The understanding obtained thereof should
again be subjected to further argument with like minds to enable clearer
understanding. To label this process as being disrespectful towards
Shankara or any great saint is the height of ignorance. Au contraire, it
would only be being true to the great ideals established by them.

        Because e-mail can be altered electronically,
        the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.