Swami Madhusudan Sarasvati (fwd)

Wed Jun 17 09:58:47 CDT 1998

[Did you mean to send this to the list?]

The Swamiji was a Bengali sannyasi who lived in Kashi during the time of
the Mughal emperor Akhbar.  Personally he was very devoted to Krishna
Bhagawan.  His major works are Advaitasiddhi and Advaitaratnarakshana
(against Dvaita), Gudharthadipika (commentary on Bhagavadgita),
Siddhantabindu (on Dasashloki of Shankaracharya), He also wrote a tika on
Shivamahimnastotram and other works.  As well as his scholarly activities
he was a great leader using his influence in the court to defend Tirths
and yatris against Muslim attack.I think there is more information on the
Advaita website now maintained by Ramakrishnan.

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:15:58 +0530
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Kamal Kothari <kamal at HOMEINDIA.COM>
Subject: Re: Gayatri Mantra
Comments: To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote :

> The section of the Vedas which mention Upanayana gives rules, for
> Brahmans, Kshatriyas, and Vaishyas.  But not for Shudras.  Therefore we
> conclude Shudras are excluded.  Furthermore they are all in the masculine
> gender and say "The boy should say" such and such a mantra etc. thus we
> conclude girls are excluded.  If the prerequisites of Vedic study cannot
> be met then the Vedas cannot be sudied and therefore cannot be chanted
> properly.

Sir, with respect may I say that the graet master Sankara has explained
very vividly in the Atmabodha and the Vivekachoodamani about the caste
system as well as worship by women.

One is not a Brahmin or a Shudra merely by being *born* into such a
family. So a person cannot be precluded on grounds of being born as a
Shudra.

As for women chanting the mantra, Sankara talks of masculine tendencies
and traits being present in some women like the Rani of Jhansi, for
example. Does a great woman like her get prcluded???

Wonder if I have been able to get my thoughts through properly. Am no
authority on the subject....just a seeker.

Regards,  kamal
--
Kamal Kothari
E-Mail : kamal at homeindia.com     http://www.homeindia.com