Maya

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 5 10:27:22 CST 1998

  Nanda Chandran wrote:

>The reason why Vedantins of other schools accuse Advaitam as being
>pracanna Bouddham or Buddhism in disguise, mainly stems from the school
>defining the empirical world as Maya. But since Vedanta is based on the
>Upanishads, the Bhagavat Gita and the Brahma Sutras what exactly is
>these scriptures stand on Maya?
>
>All the three texts never really use the world Maya or in any instance
>directly declare that the empirical world is unreal (am I right in
>this?). In the Chandogya, when Svetaketu brings the fruit to Uddhalaka,
>he first asks him to break the fruit in half. Further he asks him to
>split the seeds and then says whatever was in the seed, which your eyes
>can't see, is the Atman. If Brahman is the only reality (what are the
>other schools stand on this?), then both the fruit and the seeds inside
>are not, and so unreal in a sense.
>
>But what exactly does Shankara mean by Maya? As reasoning however
strong
>cannot contradict direct experience - I'm not sure that Shankara means
>unreal in the normal sense. Infact Shankara says for the Vyavaharika,
>all the rules of the empirical world still apply. Since we consider the
>dream state as unreal compared to the waking state due to the longer
>duration of the latter, so is the waking state unreal when compared to
>the absolute reality of the Brahman, which is immortal. So can we state
>that whatever is transient in nature is Maya?
>
>The logic of the clay pot which is actually only clay with a name and
>form, hence unreal in a sense, is also used to expound the concept of
>Maya.
>
>Can we have some thoughts on this and other instances from the three
>texts to support the Advaitic view?

 I had written in response to these questions in the newsgroup
  soc.religion.vaishnava. So I will reproduce relevant parts of the
 article here. I have also added an additional reference from the
 Giitaa, and some references to Shankara's commentary on it.

 Anand

The support for the advaitic concepts of Ishvara, jIva, and mAyA lies
in Shruti. Let us turn to the Shvetaashvatara upanishhad for help.
This particular upanishhad is especially liked by VaishhNavas, because
they
feel it is more "theistic" than the other major upanishhads, in that it
deals with Ishvara and jiiva quite frequently.
Interestingly enough, Shaivas claim the upanishhad upholds the supremacy
of
Shiva. Be it as it may, my purpose here is not to initiate a Shiva Vs.
Vishnu
debate; doing so will be silly of me. :-)

chhandAmsi yajnAH kratavo vratAni
bhUtam bhavyam yacca vedA vadanti |
asmAn mAyI sR^ijate vishvameta-
ttasminshchAnyo mAyayA sannirudhhah || (Sv. Up. 4.9)

The Vedas, sacrifices, kratus such as JyotishhToma, etc.,
vows, the past, future, and everything that the Vedas
speak of, are from It. The Ruler of mAYA creates (or projects)
this world, and It (Brahman) becomes bound in Its own mAyA, as
if It were a different entity.

Brahman, which is sacchidAnda svarUpa, becomes the Ruler of the
world by having mAyA as Its limiting adjunct. This Ruler of the
world is Ishvara. Brahman becomes bound, as it were, as
jIva, undergoing repeated transmigratory existence.

mAyAm tu prakR^itim vidyAn mAyinam tu maheshvaram,

mAyA is material nature (prakriti), and the controller
of mAyA is Maheshvara (God). (Sv. Up. 4.10)

ya eko jAlavAnIshata IshanIbhiH
sarvAn lokAnIshata IshanIbhiH |
ya evaika udbhave sambhave ca
ya etad viduramR^itAste bhavanti || (Sv. Up. 3.1)

The nondual One, the possessor of mAyA, rules by means of
His powers, rules all the worlds by His powers. He is verily
alone when in possession of His divine powers, and when
manifested. Those who know this become immortal.

Here Ishvara is said to be the possessor of jAla, literally
a net, but interpreted as mAyA.

The uniqueness of Ishvara is further affirmed in (Sv. 3.2)

eko hi rudro na dvitIyAya tasthu-
rya imAn lokAnIshata IshanIbhiH |

Rudra (Ishvara) is indeed the one who rules these worlds by His
divine powers. (Knowing this) they (the knowers of Brahman) did not
wait for (a second deity).

How does each jIva become associated with its individual mAyA?

ekaikam jAlam bahudhA vikurvannasmin kshhetre samharatyeshha deva |

This God, making each individual net (mAyA) diverse on this field, the
collective mAyA, withdraws it. (Sv. 5.3)

Another explanation is that Brahman, due to mAyA's, is perceived as
manifold.

indro mAyAbhiH pururUpa Iyate (Br. Up. 2.5.19)

Note the plural form, "mAyAbhiH." This text also occurs in the
Rg Veda.

The jIva, when it is with its own ajnAna or individual mAyA, becomes
associated with the three guNas.

sa vishvarUpastriguNastrivartmA
prANAdhipaH sancharati svakarmabhiH |

He (the jIva) has many forms, is associated with the three guNas, has
three paths. He is the lord of the vital force, and moves by his own
actions. (Sv. Up. 5.7)

upAsanA of Ishvara by the jiiva leads the former to moksha.

kshharam pradhaanamamR^itaakshharam haraH
ksharaatmaanaaviishate deva ekaH |
tasyaabhidhyaanaadyojanaattattva-
bhaavaat bhuuyashchaante vishvamAyAnivR^ittiH ||

While Nature is mutable, Hara (God) is immortal and
immutable. The one God rules the mutable and the soul.
By means of repeated meditation on Him, accompanied by
union with and reflection on Brahman (as aham brahmaasmi,
"I am Brahman"), there follows the cessation of mAyA as
the universe. (Sv. 1.10)

 We read in the Giitaa:

  IshvaraH sarvabhuutaanaaM hR^iddeshe .arjuna tishhThati |
  bhraamayan.h sarvabhuutaani yantraaruuDhaani maayayaa ||

 Ishvara (God) is in the heart of all beings, O Arjuna! (He)
 causes all beings to act (revolve) by Maayaa, as if they are
 mounted on a machine.

 Here Shankara interprets "maayayaa" as "chhadmanaa", meaning
 "by illusion, by trickery, etc."  (Giitaa Bhaashhya of Shankara)

  We also find in the Giitaa,

daivI hyeshhA guNamayI mama mAyA duratyayA |
mAmemva ye prapadyante mAyAmetAm taranti te ||

 Shankara interprets maayaaM here as "sarvabhuutamohiniiM"
 which means "that which deludes all beings."

The foregoing shows how Brahman in association with mAyA
becomes Ishvara. The same Brahman in association with
individual mAyA is the jiiva. The individual mAyA has the
three guNas. Is Ishvara also influenced by the three guNas?
Since He is in association with mAyA He has to operate by
means of some guNa, in performing His functions. This guNa
has to be sattva alone, for if He were to be affected by
rajas and tamas also, He would be no different than the
jiiva. Note that I am not saying that Ishvara is controlled
by sattva or influenced by sattva. He rules the world through
the sattva guNa. Thus one may say that the samashhTi mAyA
has a preponderance of sattva, uncontaminated by rajas and
tamas. Or in other words, rajas and tamas are completely
overpowered by sattva.

In this connection there is a beautiful verse in the
Bhaagavata (10.27.4). Indra, his pride humbled after the
Govardhana uddhAra incident, approaches Krishna and offers
prayers.

indra uvAcha

vishudhhasattvam tava dhAma shaantam
tapomayam dhvastarajastamaskam |
mAyAmayo'yam guNasampravAho
na vidyate te'grahaNAnubandhaH || (10.27.4)

Two words are of interest here. Krishna's form or body is
vishuddhasattvam, pure sattva, and also dhvastarajastamaskam,
where rajas and tamas are completely destroyed or overpowered.

 Anand