neti neti

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue Mar 17 09:33:24 CST 1998

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Anand Hudli wrote:

>  My question was intended to be more rhetorical than anything else!
>  But your answer does point out one thing. It presupposes the
>  (at least apparent) existence of "anything and everything that
>  claims its absolute status." Unless we admit such an (albeit
>  apparent) existence there is no use of the "neti neti" principle.
>  In broad terms, this apparent existence is of Ishvara (God),
>  jiiva (individual soul), and jagat (the world), the so-called tripod.
>  This tripod is what is negated to arrive at Brahman.
>  This is what I was trying to convey.
>
>  Anand

Namaste.

I think even the jivanmukta sees the jagat and the jeeva. Except, that the
jivanmukta knows them to be unreal. Thus, neti, neti is denying the
reality of these items, not denying their existence. Thus, neti, neti has
a definite role.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.