Lessons - 2

Gregory Goode goode at DPW.COM
Wed Mar 18 16:16:24 CST 1998

At 03:05 PM 3/16/98 -0500, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:
>If one's to believe in the First Cause and therefore God, how can there
>exist freewill? For if the First Cause can be termed God, then isn't the
>First Cause the sole cause of all the effects thereof?

This is a fascinating idea!  God the only cause, everything in
phenomenality an effect!  This is similar to a theory of causality in the
Western philosophy of mind called "epiphenomenalism," in which
consciousness is a by-product of physiology, but has no causal efficacy at
all.

If there has to be a notion of causality at all, I think this suggestion of
yours is one of the best yet!!!

--Greg