Ashtavakra Gita

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Fri May 8 16:08:58 CDT 1998

Chandran, Nanda wrote:

> Realising my supreme self- nature in the Person of the Witness, the
> Lord, and the state of desirelessness in bondage and liberation, I feel
> no inclination for liberation".
>
> At the end he makes another controversial statement :
> "There is no being or non-being, no unity or dualism. What more is there
> to day? Nothing emnates from me".
>
> Isn't this contradicting the Upanishadic Seers who stressed on the
> existence of the Absolute Eternal *Being* as the underlying reality?

The statements like "There is no being or non-being", ..etc
refer to the intellectual concepts of the mind. They are meant to
silence the mind and free it from all dualistic conceptions so
that the underlying non-dual nature is intuitively felt.
It is a well known fact that "being" cannot be negated.

Srinivas.