Sadhana

Tue May 12 14:24:06 CDT 1998

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Chandran, Nanda (NBC) wrote:

> Being a Brahmana stood for something atleast in the yesteryears. Let's
> not with our current conditioning and perceptions, cast doubts on a
> system we don't and can't understand.

I don't agree with this line of thinking.  Being a Brahmana means as much
today as it ever did.  So we have to deal with the impact of secularism
and fast-paced modern life.  The "good old days" weren't always so good
either.  At least we don't have to deal with famine, plague and marauding
Muslims like our ancestors did.

I owe my interest in this type of subject that my parents didn't take the
"our glorious heritage" route so many parents take but showed by their
actions that our culture is vital and real.  All the Sanskrit stuff came
pretty easily after that.

You _can_ understand but only if you shun sentimentality and cast off
the "conditioning."