memo

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Tue May 19 10:20:05 CDT 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, f. maiello wrote:

> The Mind is the only thing within the field of our consciousness
> that can possibly bring us, at least *apparently*, out of our natural
> state [of the Self].   Otherwise we are perpetually That.   Nay,
> *despite* it, we are perpetually That!   For, is there another Reality?
> Therefore, what Mind?
>
> Consider the implications of this.

Namaste.

Although I see the point that is being made, with which I concur, but
why blame the poor "mind" ? It is true that the mind is the originator
or conduit for thoughts that go through this body-mind-intellect complex,
but they may just as well be good thoughts. Rg veda says "Let noble
thoughts come to us from all sides".

It is the viveka, that discriminator that lets the single worst thought
"desire", however small, to go through. And that, in my view, is the one
that runs havoc in this body-mind-intellect complex and hampers whatever
chance we have of going beyond the body-mind-intellect and realizing our
true Self. My favorite Viveka ChuDAmaNi verse (# 424) says in part
"... the culmination of dispassion (vairAgya) is the desirelessness...".

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy
Yadaa sarve pramucyante kaamaa ye'sya hr^di shritaah
atha martyo'mr^to bhavatyatra brahma samashnute   Katha Upanishhad II.3.14

When all the desires that dwell in the heart fall away, then the mortal
becomes immortal, and attains Brahman even here.