49. IkShaNasR^iShTA.nDakotiH

Ravi Mayavaram msr at REDDY20.TAMU.EDU
Thu May 21 20:56:07 CDT 1998

49. IkShaNasR^iShTA.nDakotiH

SHE whose desire created millions of universes.

"anDa" here denote Universe. "koTi" means a crore (10 millions). HER
desire created millions of Universes. The plularity here implies
universes created in the past, present and future.

"tadaikShata bahusyAM prajAyeya" [chandogya upaniShad 6-2-3]. He saw
(and desired) to become many and create. IkShAm chakre - He saw.
"AtmA vA idam eka agra eva AsIt nAnyat k.inchanamiShat sa EkSata
lokAnnu sR^ja | iti sa imAn lokA nasR^jata" [aitAreya upaniShad 1-1].
In the beginning there was only AtmA. There was no other agency. He
sa (desired) and created them.  These shR^itis indicate that brahman
being both material  and efficient cause, without an other aid,
created all this which is inseparable from Him. Just as the spider
weaves the web out of its own body. This is also stated in the
"prakR^itishcha pratij~nAdR^iShTantAnuparodhAt" [brahma sUtra 2-4-23]
For the pot, potter is the efficient cause  (nimitta) and clay is the
material cause (upadAna). But in the case of jagat, brahman is the
nimitta and upadAna kAraNa.

AUM IkShaNasR^iShTA.nDakoTyai namaH

Note: I will not be in a position to type the names during the
memorial day weekend. I will continue  from Tuesday again.