advaita vedAnta and yoga

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Thu Sep 10 17:13:13 CDT 1998

Although I agree that there is a modern confusion between these two, I
just wanted to point out that the relationship between these two schools
goes back to many centuries. In the 14th c., the sarvadarSana sangraha
listed yoga right next to advaita, and said that yoga approached advaita
closest in spirit and teaching. This refers not the generic usage of
yoga as meditation/austerity, but to the specific system embodied in
patanjali's sUtras and vyAsa's bhAshya.

Even in the bRhadAraNyaka upanishad bhAshya, at 1. 4. 7, where the
mahAvAkya, aham brahmAsmi occurs, there is a reference to citta vRtti
nirodha. Without going into this text in great detail, I would suggest
that this portion of the commentary and its vArttika by Suresvara should
be read carefully. Sankara and Suresvara reject pUrva mImAMsA concepts of
vidhi and pratishedha very strongly, while holding that citta vRtti
nirodha is accomplished simply by knowing the Atman. And in
upadeSasAhasrI, Sankara teaches parisaMkhyAna, which is very similar to
the viveka khyAti taught in the yogasUtras.

It is easy to get very confused when talking about stilling of thoughts.
It seems as if thought itself rebels, when discussing ways of stilling it.
One must keep in mind two things - one, the process of stilling the mental
fluctuations, and two, the state in which mental fluctuations do not
arise. Advaita Vedantins do not recommend a forcible method of stilling of
thoughts which some yogins follow, and think to be very desirable. This is
because there is no point in simply suppressing anything, it needs to be
sublimated and transcended. But they accept the state in which thoughts
are stilled, and point out that the only true state where thoughts are
completely stilled is to be the Atman. Therefore, the Yogic goal of citta
vRtti nirodha automatically follows from proper Self-knowledge, but it
cannot be said that Self-knowledge can be gained simply by restricting
the mental activity.

Vidyasankar