"munsiff"

Subhanu Saxena Subhanu.Saxena at INTL.PEPSI.COM
Fri Sep 18 04:58:58 CDT 1998

A munsiff is a law maker. In modern India, he would be below an
assistant district magistrate, and would have juristiction for a region.
Munsiffs can become judges.

I am guessing that a "village munsiff in South India in the early XIXth
century" as per your question would be a similar type of
person/function.  In ancient village life, the village ruling council
was called the "panchAyat", or council of 5.  I am not sure whether the
munsiff would have been part of this council or not, but a munsiff's
function would have been of a legal nature.

Regards

Subhanu