shrI shankara jayantI

E. Lisot lisot at UTDALLAS.EDU
Tue Apr 20 09:43:16 CDT 1999

Om Namah Shivaya,

April 20,

The Hermaphrodite image is one that seems to have a great relationship
to Advaita Vedanta. In which the "dual" aspects of God as female and
male become one....like the individual self being one with the Universal
Self. . Does any one know if Shankara ever referred to this image? In
what text?...I don't know the sanskrit name, but I am familiar with the
statues of Shiva/Parvati which are like this. I was reminded of it by
the posting of the  kalaham between ambaaL and Ishwara by shrI
nIlakaNtha dIkshitA.

sincerely,

E. Lisot