Philosophical Views and Certain Knowledge

M. S. Ravishankar miinalochanii at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 26 18:52:13 CDT 1999

>From: Parisi & Watson <niche at AMERITECH.NET>

>It is both an advantage and a disadvantage being a Westerner. I came
>Vedanta as an adult as a result of serious and deliberate comparative
>study. But it's an easily observed fact that most people adopt the
>religion of their family and society. Just as most Indians are Hindu,
>most US-Americans are either Christians or Jews, at least nominally.
>None of us have the opportunity to choose our parents or families,
and
>most people never choose their religion.

In the same book, there is a chapter in which svAmigaL asks a
christian to follow his religion properly and be a good christian
rather than convert religions. That is very nice chapter.

In one of his talks shrI shrI chandrasekharendra sarasvatI says  that
people who convert from one religion to another insult both of them.
By the considering that God of their former religion as not good
enough to help them and second by thinking the God of the new one is
different from the former.

One thing is, those convert and change their systems, if they get
confused, they will sending a lot of wrong signals to their children
and leave them in an unfortunate situation.

>However if we don't choose our family, still this group of people
>usually enjoys a loyalty on our part that is beyond question. The
story
>above illustrates this sort of unwavering commitment, expressed in a
way
>that would be almost impossible for someone who was not born into it.
>Because something that is adopted as a deliberate choice can always
>potentially be dropped again, or at least such a change is thinkable.
As
>we have our reasons for taking something up, other reasons can lead
>its abandonment. It is not so with something that we take up along
with
>our mother's milk. And while a convert may be more enthusiastic and
>dogmatic than many who were born into a belief, there is always
>something conditioned in his commitment.
>
>Robert.

Beautiful observation Robert.

>From  Mon Apr 26 19:42:16 1999
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>