Vedic Religion

Wed Aug 4 22:56:49 CDT 1999

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Shrisha Rao wrote:

> Ramakrishnan wrote:
>
> > Where does the shatapatha brAhmaNa laud the pA.ncarAtra? If it's some
>
> Schrader gives a reference, but I don't have it with me right now.

The reference to pancharatras in Shatapathabrahmana is real alright.  I
think it is in the description of the purushamedha where  it it is said to
take "5 nights" to perform.  The archetype for this is the srshti as
described in the purushasukta which this text says took 5 days.  Neither
of the two commentaries I have, Sayanacharya and Hariswami Acharya say
anything about the pancharatra school in this context.