Differences between Vedantic schools

Sun Aug 22 00:25:40 CDT 1999

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Ravi wrote:

> Of course, in advaita-vedanta, as Jaldhar wrote, at removal avidya the
> duality ceases to exist. And from a point of view of unrealized jIva,
> the body of the realized one continues till death due to prArabdha.  I
> think the way advaita-vedanta works, jIvana mukti is an essential and
> important part and it can not be done away.

It is for the reason mentioned above that Shankaracharya insists that only
the Sannyasi can achieve moksha.  (I know there has been controversy on
this subject in the past but there is no doubt about this.) To allow the
effects of karma to "wind down" in this way, one must completely cease any
religious or secular karma.

> But the other schools deny
> jIvana mukti (both rAmanuja and mAdhva's)

For vishistadvaitains sannyasa is of the Tridandi type and they continue
to perform karmas even in sannyasashram.  This is why they keep shikha,
yagnopavit etc.  (The external signs of a karmadhikari) even at this
stage.  Advaitins are Ekadandins and give up the shikha, yagnopavit etc.
to signify that karma is incompatible with jnana.  Shrisha, please
explain: As the Dvaitins are also ekadandins, do they follow this and if
not, why not?