NYC/Sanskrit teacher?

Wed Dec 15 10:55:33 CST 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Greg Goode wrote:

> Greetings to Advaitins!
>
> Friends of mine at a yoga center downtown in New York City are mounting a
> yoga teacher's training course.

That's not that one on Chambers Street is it?  I walk past there often.

>  I am helping out, and we are looking for a
> knowledgeable person to teach the Sanskrit alphabet, sounds, esoteric
> correspondences, basic verses, chants, mantras, etc.

If that's all, you could probably get a Columbia U. student to do it.  The
person who gets hired should have good pronounciation.  (The world doesn't
need more people who say Daaarrrma!)  This is especially important for
mantras which depend on proper pronounciation for their effect.

> The schedule will
> start in January, and the teacher would be needed for an hour or two each
> week or two, perhaps for a period of 6 months.  Perhaps we could compress
> the schedule some more.

If anything you should double or triple it.  I can't imagine much progress
happening in a shorter time.  And the last thing the world needs is more
teachers without a clue.

> Any suggestions?  Knowledge of Vedanta or Patanjali-yoga-sutras very
> helpful, but not necessary.

!!!!

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org