NYC/Sanskrit teacher?

Greg Goode goode at DPW.COM
Mon Dec 13 16:44:55 CST 1999

At 11:55 AM 12/15/99 -0500, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

Greg:
>> Friends of mine at a yoga center downtown in New York City are mounting a
>> yoga teacher's training course.
>
>That's not that one on Chambers Street is it?  I walk past there often.

No, it's on Broadway between Prince and Spring St., the Atmananda Yoga Center.

>>  I am helping out, and we are looking for a
>> knowledgeable person to teach the Sanskrit alphabet, sounds, esoteric
>> correspondences, basic verses, chants, mantras, etc.
>
>If that's all, you could probably get a Columbia U. student to do it.  The
>person who gets hired should have good pronounciation.  (The world doesn't
>need more people who say Daaarrrma!)  This is especially important for
>mantras which depend on proper pronounciation for their effect.

We might send the students to the Sanskrit sessions given by one of the
other yoga schools.

>> The schedule will
>> start in January, and the teacher would be needed for an hour or two each
>> week or two, perhaps for a period of 6 months.  Perhaps we could compress
>> the schedule some more.
>
>If anything you should double or triple it.  I can't imagine much progress
>happening in a shorter time.  And the last thing the world needs is more
>teachers without a clue.

Yes, Americans do say Daarrmaa.  Vyaas Houston, who teaches many many
Sanskrit courses to yoga students, has a Sanskrit Institute upstate New
York.  Their most popular offering for yoga schools is a one-weekend
intensive course - 14 hours....

--Greg

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam