About Advaita, self and Jivanmuktha

Carex Marketing Private Limited carex at VSNL.COM
Sat Dec 18 00:32:30 CST 1999

A few questions for the list members from us. Maybe you people had discussed these things before (If so direct me to the correct archive), otherwise help me solve these issues.

1. Is there any difference between God-realisation and self-realisation? To our understanding Savikalpa samadhi leads to God and Nirvikalpa samadhi to self. Any one who has realised his or her self becomes a Jivanmuktha and upon death fuses with the Brahman and there is no rebirth. But people who realise God, or see God through the devotional approach and other sects which also claim Moksha as their goal, do they really attain true Moksha state?? Or they will be born again to enjoy the fruits of their actions?

2.It is true that all who are born die. Also whoever dies is reborn. But there is a contention that the next birth can take place immdtly or after few months or years. If this is true what is the state in which the person will be during this transition? Is it what people talk of as spirits (Aavi in Tamil). And there are people who claim to speak to these spirits and also say that they can speak with anybody's spirit. Is it possible and true ? Also I heard a person say in an interview that the Spirits also have a longing towards the families from which they parted and things of that sort. How can that be?

Aavi or spirit and Atman or Brahman of Advaita, are surely not the same. That is what I believe. Kindly clarify the difference.

3. A Jivanmuktha is all-knowing and is not subject to ignorance. He views everything with an equal eye.

Is this true? Also is it true that he knows about his previous births and can also find out the previous and future course of Births of the people who approach him?

4. It is said that the Goal of human life is self-realisation. that is to attain the state of Birthlessness. While in this world we talk and do things mainly to attain the state of deathlessness or immortalaity. Why this paradox?

5. To attain the state of Birthlessness (Moksha), self realisation (Atmajnana) is the only way. Is it true that only a few people can achieve it? If a persons desires for Atmajnana and if he sincerely works for it can he achieve it? Is there any difference of sex in it? A Guru is very essential for this purpose. But we do not know where He is. How can we find our Guru?

6. Atmajnana or self-realisation is a state of Advaita. How can we acheive that? If there is an object of desire(here Atmajnana), there will be a person desirous of it (here, the Mumukshu). When it is like this it becomes Dvaita. In this condition how can one truly understand Advaita? People say that Atmajnana will come on its own and nobody can say when it will come. If this is true, if we remain as such and hope for it to happen, will it happen? Or should we go after and seek?

The aforesaid are some doubts which have arisen in our minds regarding Advaita. We have limited knowledge and experience of this system and maybe some of our doubts are impertinent.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Vijayalakshmi Anand &

K Anand