About Advaita, self and Jivanmuktha

Chuck Hillig chillig at JETLINK.NET
Mon Dec 20 12:16:55 CST 1999

>To Chuck

>Ok. So all is consciousness. But, at least at the vyavahaarik level, you and
>I *appear* to exist. You and I are the dream of one and the same One,
>correct? Then taking that to be the premise, once whether you or anyone else
>realizes that this is all a dream and truly "awakens" to your real nature,
>all this, including me, should vanish and become realized at the same time
>because its the same one that is dreaming this and we are just all
>characters in the dream.

Hi Ashish,

     Hmmm.   But the so-called "lake" in the desert doesn't vanish just
because you suddenly discover that it's really only a mirage.    It will
still look very much like a lake  The awakening is not FROM the dream.
The awakening is TO the dream.   There's no "separate one" who "realizes"
anything.    In truth, there's no separate one who truly "awakens" and
another separate one who "doesn't awaken."

>So as soon as the dreamer awakens, we should all become aware of our true
self.

     But, Ashish, exactly  who is this "we" that you are referring to?
It's all only "I"....the pure Consciousness of the Self.    You are that
"I."   There is no "other."

>But this is clearly not true and, if I remember correctly, I read a
similar such argument against >Advaita which is often used by other (Hindu)
schools.

>>From this, we deduce that *something in me* itself has to become aware of
>*my* true nature which "I" clearly am not aware of right now.

     There is nothing "in" you that will "become aware."  You are awareness
Itself.

>Perhaps at the end of 100 Days of Brahma, this dreamer will awaken and suck
>everything into itself (so us poor jivas enjoy the bliss temporarily) and
>then project the illusion once more, meaning, go to sleep once again ? :-) ?

     Yes, it's a good metaphor.     When you, seemingly, wake up in the
morning, the "cosmic spider" spontaneously spins Its web and quickly gets
caught by the seductive melodramas of Its own illusions.  Then, when It
seemingly "sleeps, It withdraws the entire world into Itself again until
It, once again, spins the illusory web of the universe.   Wonderous!   It's
the permanent miracle!

With Blessings,
             Chuck Hillig

Author of:        "ENLIGHTENMENT  FOR  BEGINNERS"
Published by:    Black Dot Publications     $11.95 (plus 7.25% tax for CA
residents) and shipping
                        Book Orders:  1-800-929-7889
                        1-805-640-8825  (phone and fax)
                        Web:    http://www.blackdotpubs.com