vivekachUdAmani

Vaidya N. Sundaram sundaram at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Mon Feb 1 11:39:17 CST 1999

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) wrote:

> In Yoga, they say that when Shakti Joins
> Shiva at Sahasarara, this union results in liberation, and at death of the
> body the Prana exits through the Sahasarara resulting in Maha Samadhi. The
> exit through the Sahasarara is meant to be a sign of the final Mukti.
> However, on the path of Jnana, the pranas do not exit but are absorbed into
> the Heart that is the Self. How do we reconcile these two seemingly
> divergent explanations?

 namaskAram:
  I do not know much about the Yogic references to Maha Samadhi you
make, so my answer will not be complete. I request list members to
coorect me if I am wrong.

 I believe that when HH quotes the Sruti and says that the prAnas
acquire laya here itself, he probably does not mean that the mukta
stops breathing. The physical manifestation continues to function
as though nothing has happened; that is, the gross body cannot
break the laws of day to existence and just cannot stop the
function of breathing! The only difference would be that, there
would be no "death" in the sense we understand it to be.

Vaidya.

                        Vaidya N. Sundaram

uddharedaatmanaatmaanaM naatmaanamavasaadayet.h |
aatmaiva hyaatmano bandhuraatmaiva ripuraatmanaH ||

Let a man raise himself by his own efforts. Let him not degrade himself.
Because a person's best friend or his worst enemy is, none other than his
own self. (BG 6.5)