FW: SAmkhya and VedAnta

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 28 20:11:17 CST 1999

Hello :
--- ShrI Ashish Chandra <achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM> wrote:
> They are also Advaitins then, but not in the Shankara mould.
        Forgive me for asking Sir, is there any other mould of advaita?  If
a school of vedanta does not adhere to ShrI Adi Shankara's philosophy,
how can it be "advaita"? The reason I pose this question is that I
have an understanding that Advaita Vedanta _IS_ the philosophy of the
Upanishads, Gita and Brahm-Sutras as explained by the great master
Shankara. Am I wrong?
        If Advaita is indeed not defined as "the philosophy expounded by ShrI
Adi Shankara", how else should it be defined?  If I seem a little
nit-picky about nomenclature and definition, it is because I would
like to ascertain what exactly is meant by an "advaitic" philosophy in
current parlance?

Thanks,

-Vivek Aanand Ganesan.

PS : I have zero knowledge of Pushti Marga. Please do not construe my
question as a slant insult to that tradition. If it has come across
that way, I aplogize in advance and hasten to add that it is
unintentional.
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:07:13 -0500
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>
From: Ashish Chandra <achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM>
Subject: Re: FW: SAmkhya and VedAnta
Comments: To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at TAMU.EDU>

Vivek Anand Ganesan wrote:

> Hello :
>
>         Forgive me for asking Sir, is there any other mould of advaita?  If
> a school of vedanta does not adhere to ShrI Adi Shankara's philosophy,
> how can it be "advaita"? The reason I pose this question is that I
> have an understanding that Advaita Vedanta _IS_ the philosophy of the
> Upanishads, Gita and Brahm-Sutras as explained by the great master
> Shankara. Am I wrong?
>         If Advaita is indeed not defined as "the philosophy expounded by ShrI
> Adi Shankara", how else should it be defined?  If I seem a little
> nit-picky about nomenclature and definition, it is because I would
> like to ascertain what exactly is meant by an "advaitic" philosophy in
> current parlance?

As far as my knowledge goes, Shankar's tradition is also called Keval Advaita.
There are other schools in Advaita philosophy that have belonged to the Vedanta
philosophy but have differed from Shankara's teachings.

As far as I remember reading about the Pushti Marg's Sri Vallabhacharya, their
emphasis is also on the oneness of Brahma with the caveat that it is Krishna who
is this One.

Other members, please correct me if this is incorrect.

Sevaram