viShNu sahasranAma 1-7 to 1-10

Savithri Devaraj sdevaraj at EXPLORER.CSC.COM
Thu Jul 22 03:14:42 CDT 1999

7. brahmaNyaM sarva-dharmaj~naM lokAnAM kIrti-vardhanam.h |
    lokanAthaM mahad.hbhUtaM sarva-bhUta-bhavodbhavam.h ||

He is the protector of brahma and the vedas. He is the knower of all
dharmas.  He is the enhancer of the reputation of all beings.  He is the
supreme brahman.  Out of him all beings and the whole of samsAra have
come out.

8. eSha me sarva dharmANAM dharmo.adhikatamo mataH |
    yad.hbhaktyA pundarIkAxaM stavai-rarcha-nnaraH sadA ||

To adore the lotus-eyed One always with hymns of praise recited with
devotion - I consider this to be superior to all other forms of dharma.

9. paramaM yo mattejaH paramaM yo mahattapaH |
    paramaM yo mahad.h-brahma paramaM yaH parAyaNam.h ||

He is the supreme light of consciousness.  He is the supreme controller
of everything.  He is the supreme all-pervading being.  He is the
support of everything.

10. pavitrANAM pavitaM yo ma~NgalAnAM cha ma~Ngalam.h |
     daivatam daivatAnAM cha bhUtAnAM yo.avyayaH pitA ||

He is the sanctifier of even what is most sacred.  He is the most
auspicious among auspicious beings. He is the lord of all divinities.
He, the undecaying, is the father of all beings.

>From Translation and commentary of Sri SankarAcArya. Translated by
Swami Tapasyananda.

Savithri