Who and What is Conscious? (was Thank You)

Wed Jul 28 22:34:06 CDT 1999

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Parisi & Watson wrote:

> My cat is definitely conscious. I suppose the question is whether she has
> introspective self awareness, and probably she doesn't.

Maybe not cats but I feel that some animals do.  In a more rudimentary way
than humans of course.

> The awkward fact is
> that I can never directly verify the introspective capabilities of anyone
> other than myself, human or not. It sounds like a silly statement, but it
> becomes very serious in the field of artificial intelligence. Where, if
> anywhere, could we ever cross the line from a convincing simulation of
> consciousness (in the sense of self awareness) to actual consciousness? And
> how could we ever go about determining the answer to this question?

Perhaps one answer is to look at it in a statistical way.  Does the
subject show more signs of consciousness or not?  Trouble is, a good many
humans might fail that test.  (On a serious note it could be (and in
fact has) been used to justify oppression.  We can treat ____ however we
like.  They don't feel as we do.)

> It's
> difficulties like this one that led science to behaviorism, and to something
> between saying that consciousness doesn't matter and denying it altogether.
> But denying it is futile, since I am unquestionably aware of my own
> subjective states. So science is in the embarrassing position of neglecting
> or denying the thing that we know best and most closely - the thing that we
> _are_ - in favor empirical observations, especially of qualities that can be
> quantified, which consciousness cannot. It may seem that I'm arguing both
> sides of the issue now, but these problems are painfully apparent from the
> scientific point of view, and it doesn't help anything to try to paper over
> them.

Agreed.  Perhaps another way to examine consciousness is to measure its
effect on other things.  Just like the outer planets were discovered by
their gravitational efects on the inner ones.  If we know a particular
behavior is based on instinct, and subject A is less bound by it than
subject B maybe it means A is more conscious.  That's why Vedanta (got to
stay on topic here :-) insists not only on the inside (the atma,
specifically the chitta shakti of the atma.) but an "outside" component
(brahman.)