vishNu sahasranAma - Introductory Verses

Savithri Devaraj sdevaraj at EXPLORER.CSC.COM
Mon Jun 21 19:28:13 CDT 1999

With Meditation on vishNu complete, we go to the next chapter -
Introductory Verses.  Here, for some reason, the author seems to have
skipped a few verses, so this posting has those first verses after
SuklAM baradharaM...., with my translation as a gist.  Please let me
know my mistakes.  Please feel free to give an exact translation.

        2.     yasya-Dvirada-vaktrAdhAH pArishadyAh paraS-Satam
                vighnam nighnanti satatam vishvaksenam tam Asraye.

        A prayer to gaNesha - one who always removes obstacles.

         3.    vyAsam vasishta-naptAram Sakteh pautram akalmasham
                parAsarAtmajam vande Suka-tAtam tapo-nidhim.

        A prayer to vyAsa ( and his lineage described), who is son of
Sakti, who is free from defects and a treasure house of penances.

        4.     vyAsAya vishNu-rUpAya vyAsa-rUpAya vishNave
                namo vai Brahma-nidhaye vAsishTAya namo namaH.

        Salutations to vyAsa ( who is a form of vishNu ) who is always
abiding in brahman  and vishNu (who is a form of vyAsa) and from lineage
of vashshTa (vAsihTAya  - descendant of vashihTa).

       5.     avikArAya SuddhAya nityAya paramAtmane
               sadaika-rUpa-rUpAya vishNave sarva-jishnave.

        Describing vishNu as defectless, pure and eternal and with a
form that is beautiful and a who is a victor of all.

     6.     yasya smaraNa-mAtreNa janma-samsAra-bandhanAt
            vimuchyate namas-tasmai vishNave prabhavishNave.

        Salutations to Him, just by whose thought people are freed from
repeated births and deaths (samsAra)

        Om namo vishNave prabhavishNave.

        Salutations to Him, the all powerful One.

I will continue with the translation from Swami Tapasyananda of
Shankara's commentary on vishNu sahasranAma from the next posting
onwards.

Savithri