Book list.

Giridhar giridhar at CHEMENG.IISC.ERNET.IN
Sun Mar 14 02:11:47 CST 1999

namaste. I have been asked by three people to post the books I had sent
to Vivek Anand Ganesan to the advaita list. Here it is. Note that I recommend
these books based on my personal reading, because I own many of these
books. It does not mean they are the best translations or books available,
but from what I have seen, due to limited knowledge and exposure, it
looks like a decent list.

PS:             I have already clarified why I said "almost" with regard to Shankara's
teachings. Please re-read that post, if you are still unsure why I said so.

Many portions of the following is taken from my home page,

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1415/
and my contributions to

http://sanskrit.gde.to

The above site translartion of astavakra gita, vivekachudamani,
bhaja govindam etc.

A preliminary introduction to Hinduism and its general
philosophies is needed, before one can understand advaita
in the right perspective with regard to other darshana-s.
I have included them at each level. This is a very
short book list, based on my own reading and preferences. Use the online
bookstore (http://www.amazon.com) to get publisher information. RK means
ramakrishna math publication.

I have not included great books like bhaja govindam
or Shivanandalahari since they are more practice/bhakti
oriented stotras, rather than general philosophy. If we
want to include that, I can make a separate list for that.

Books list:

Beginner:

A survey of Hinduism by Klaus K. Klostermier.
The Goal and the Way by Swami Satprakashananda (RK)
--

vedanatasara of Sadananda by Swami Nikhilananda (RK)

Crest jewel of discrimination (Vivekachudamani) by Swami Prabhavananda (RK)
(or by Swami Madhavananda, RK or Swami Turiyananda, RK)

Sankara Digvijaya by Swami Tapasyananda (RK)

A thousand teachings : the Upadesasahasri of Sankara,
translated by Mayeda (univ. of tokyo press)[ also by Swami Jagananda, RK).
[imo, read both the translations].

Atma Bodha translated by Swami Nikhilananda (RK).

Panchadasi of Vidyaranya by Swami Swahananda (RK)

Realization of the Supreme Self : the Bhagavad Gita bhashya translation by
Trevor Leggett (kegan Paul press)

Tripura Rahasya by Ramananda Saraswati (ramanashram)

Vakyavritti and atmajnanopadesavidhi by Swami Jagadananda (RK)

Prasnottara-ratna-malika of Shankara by Swami Tapasyananda (RK)

Aparoksanubhuti:: Self Realization of Sri Sankaracharya translated by Swami
Vimuktananda (RK)

dRk-dRSya viveka by Swami Nikhilananda (RK)

Inter:

Introduction to Indian philosophy by Datta and chatterjee.
Fundamentals of Indian philosophy by R. Puligandla.
Indian philosophy by S. Radhakrishnan.
--

Astavakra Samhita by Swami Nitya Swarupananda (RK)

Yoga Vasistha by Swami Venkatesananda (SUNY press)

Sankaracarya's Daksinamurti stotra with the varttika Manasollasa of
Suresvaracarya  by Swami Harshananda (RK)

vivekacUDAmaNi bhAshya by Chandrasekhara bharati (Bharatiya Vidya bhavan).

Bhagavad Gita bhasya of Adi Sankara by Warrier (RK)

The Mandukyopanishad with Gaudapada's Karika and Sankara's commentary by
Swami Nikhilananda (RK). Also read the commentary by Swami Gambhirananda.

The Complete Commentary by Sankara on the Yogasutras by Trevor Leggett
(kegan paul press).

bhagavad gItA gUDArthadIpikA of Madhusudana Saraswati
by Sisir Kumar Gupta (Motilal) or by Swami Gambhirananda (RK).

Avadhuta Gita by Ashokananda (RK)

***********************

Pre-Final:

History of Indian Philosophy by Dasgupta in 5 volumes.

Encyclopedia of Indian philosophies by Karl Potter
--

Brahma-sutra bhasya of Sankara by Swami Gambhirananda (RK).

Ribhu Gita by Iyer

Eight upanishads by Swami Gambhirananda (RK).

jivanmuktiviveka of vidyaranya by Swami Moksadananda(RK)

pancikarana with suresvara's vArttika (RK)

Dakshinamurti stotra with sureswaracharya's Manasollasa and Pranava vartika
by Alladi Mahadeva Sastry (Samata Books)

Brahmasiddhi of Mandanamisra by Kuppuswami (Satguru publications)

The Naishkarmyasiddhi of Suresvara by John Grimes (Satguru publications)

Pancapadika of Padmapadacarya by Srinivasan

Advaita siddhi of Madhusudana Saraswati by Ganganatha Jha

Complete works of Shankara (Samata books)

**********************************
Finals:

vartikkas of suresvara

Principal upanishads, with Sankara's bhAshyas and Anandagiri's TIkAs

vedAntasiddhAnta muktAvalI of prakasananda by Arthur venis

and much more..
etc etc....

Bookstores:

If you want to order from India, use
Advaita Ashrama 5 Dehi Entally Road Calcutta (WB)
700 014 INDIA Phone91-33-244-0898, 245-2383, Fax (91) (33) 245-0050
One can easily get the books at

http://www.vedanta.org or

http://www.vedanta.com

Most of the above books are also available from the east-west bookstore
(800-909-6161), vedanta bookstore
(800-816-2242) and the 21st century bookstore (800-593-book) or The Bodhi
Tree (800-825-9798).