New member introduction: shrI Tim Gerchmez

Mon May 3 10:53:17 CDT 1999

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Vaidya Sundaram wrote:

> I would like to introduce myself.  I will keep this brief, as there will be
> plenty of words forthcoming.  Introductions serve only as a "first
> impression," which to me has little meaning.  One cannot know the nature of
> a person through a single post to a mailing list.  The idea is ludicrous.

The purpose of the introductions is to get an idea of where you are coming
from. Some people have been immersed in  Vedantic concepts and tradition
for a long time prior to joining the list while some have just heard
garbled versions from people who barely understood the subject themselves.
Thus there is a great potential for confusion and acrimony and the
introductions go a little way towards preventing that.