satyam

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Thu May 13 23:43:13 CDT 1999

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <ramakris at EROLS.COM> wrote:

> Actually that is indeed the situation.  The most famous proponent of
> this method, namely Ramana Maharshi admits this in many places. I have
> read the autobiographies of all his close disciples and they say that
> they could not do this for a very long time. For some, it took many
> years after Maharshis death to engage in enquiry. Read for eg,
> Devaraja Mudaliars autobiography or Ganapati Munis autobiography. Mind
> you they even had the benefit of personal association.

True. He said that. In fact Ganapati Muni did have lot of difficulty in
settling down into enquiry. But, doesn't Ramana Maharshi also suggest
enquiring about lower order questions which will eventually lead to the
grand enquiry "who am I"? I was trying to get at that. I should have
explained a little more. What I was driving at was, enquiry need not
start with "who am I". Since that is the last enquiry one undertakes
before extinction.

regards,
Srinivas.