Shankaracharyas' view on Dharmashastras

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Mon Nov 15 16:46:50 CST 1999

Dear Ashish,

I appreciate your insistence in asking for what shankara maTha-s
think. That will definitely give focus to this list.

But there is a problem, your question is too general. If
it is specific, then one could possibly answer. If you ask,
whether Acharya-s for kAnchi or shR^ingagiri has written a
critique on Apatstamba dharma-suutra or an amendment to it, I do
not think such a work exists (at least I do not know).

>From what I recollect from deyvaththin kural (voice of God, 8
volumes, first two were translated to English under the title
"Hindu Dharma" by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan), shrI shrI
chandrasekharendra saraswatii holds Apatstamba in high regard.

For some specific questions like the following,

At what age one should initiated to sandhyA vandanam?  Should one
perform mAdhyAhnikam? How people who work in office from 8-6 can do
it? What svamigal thinks about child marriage? What about widow
remarriage? Should one perform aupaasana? Importance learning veda-s?
and so on,

can be answered. Please refer to these books to know more.

1. Dialogues with the guru : talks with His Holiness Sri
Chandrasekhara Bharati Swaminah, late Sankaracharya of Sringeri
Mutt. / Candrasekhara Bharati, Jagatguru Sankaracharya of Sringeri,
1892-1954 / Bombay / 197?

2. Hindu dharma : the universal way of life. / Chandrasekharendra
Saraswati, Jagatguru Sankaracharya of Kamakoti. / 1st ed. / Bombay /
1995 BL 1212.76 C43 1995

Thank you.

Ravi

--