Jivan mukti and Advaita

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 27 00:01:35 CDT 1999

Venkataram wrote:
>    In other words, only jiivanmukta-s  (those who have attained
>brahma-jnaana, and    are still tenanting a body can  be  competent
>guru-s to propagate advaita.
>
>     This is perhaps why jiivan mukti is considered *essential* in
>advaita.
>

>     I shall be grateful if any flaws in this  argument are pointed out
>and
>     rectified  by anyone who has made a deeper study.

Namaskar,

I have not made any deep study of this topic but would like to point out
what I have understood so far:

As far as the question of a Guru is concerned, the real Guru is the Atman
itself that provides the inspiration for Mukti also. A real-life Guru helps
to a very great extent but cannot be held to being essential (is this
correct?) I am not entirely certain but Sri Ramana Maharishi became Realized
by, as he put it in his own words, trying to answer the question "Who am I".

Jiva will remain deluded of its true nature (Brahman) till mukti occurs.
Till then, some layers of Maya remain for the Jiva, whether it is within
this body, or without. So going by this logic, Advaitam cannot be said to
pertain just to Mrityulok. If jivanmukti is defined as being the state of
having attained mukti in Mrityulok (i.e. this body), then clearly the
jivanmukti is, for want of a better analogy, a subset of Advaitam and hence
jivanmukti cannot be said to be *essential* to Advaitam although it is
possible to achieve Mukti here and now.

Not to drag this topic too far, I think from what I have learned here so
far, jivanmukti is *not essential* to Advaitam although it is certainly
possible.

I would be happy is any further clarifications are forthcoming from
honorable members.

ashish

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org